Daily Hope and Inspiration from Pastor Mark

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Please don’t turn a bad moment into a bad day.

There are options to anger, and forgiveness is one of them.  Forgiving someone doesn't necessarily mean that you condone a certain action, but it does allow us all to get past it.  In my experience,  the more empathy I feel for others, the less likely I am to get angry when someone does something that I think or feel  is wrong.  Encouraging another person to find different ways of doing things can add a positive element to the lives of everyone involved, including my and my self will!
“Be completely humble and gentle; be patient. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.” Ephesians 4:1-3   
Anger isn't exactly a natural response to given situations.  In our world we may have learned that anger is appropriate, justified, and somehow inevitable at times, the fact remains that anger is a choice even though most of us have lost our ability actually to make that choice when we want or need to during that moment. Please don’t turn a bad moment into a bad day.
http://www.livinglifefully.com/images/invisible.gif
Anger tends to make us feel somewhat self-righteous, and that's a tempting feeling to go after.  Heck, I like to feel that I am right and someone else is wrong! My self-centered ego thrives on that sort of thing.  But the problem is that anger doesn't actually make me feel better, rather it simply makes me feel superior for the moment.  As I have learned time ant time again… it almost never helps a situation, while it often makes things worse. Please don’t turn a bad moment into a bad day.
http://www.livinglifefully.com/images/invisible.gifhttp://www.livinglifefully.com/images/invisible.gif
If I look for the excuses, I usually can find reasons to be angry.  But when I try my best to understand the elements involved in an occurrence or another person's action, then I find that by practicing understanding and compassion, I can make the situation healthier by avoiding the trap of anger's invitation.
  “If we were to live, we had to be free of anger. The grouch and the brainstorm were not for us.” Big Book pg 66  

No comments:

Post a Comment