Daily Hope and Inspiration from Pastor Mark

Thursday, December 16, 2021


 



30 years ago I was a broken man, hopelessly alcoholic and addicted to methamphetamine. In jail.. again… for my 10th DUI I was to be sent to prison. I was 30 years old and had estranged everyone from me in my life. As I stared into the piece of tin that serves as a jailhouse mirror, I suddenly realized that I no longer knew this person staring back at me. I got on my knees and said the only prayer I could at the time, “God help me.” 

Things began to change almost immediately. My cellmate kept inviting me to the AA meetings and until that day I never wanted to attend. The H & I sponsored AA meeting started with a very short man who was not in jail jumping up on a table and shouting, “If you guys keep on doing what you are doing, you will keep getting what you are getting!” It was the shortest AA meeting I have ever attended because that was all I heard. He offered a Big Book to those of us “man enough to ask”, so I asked. I began reading the AA Big Book and attending the meetings. 

After a few weeks, I went for my prison sentencing, but my Public Defender did not show up. 2 weeks later I went again to be sentenced and the Prosecutor did not show up. It would be 6 more weeks in the jail before I would be sentenced to prison. 

I stayed active in AA and in the Christian fellowship Overcomers Outreach. 

My heart began to change. I finally owned my alcoholism; took responsibility for the wreckage it had caused me and others and became willing to accept the consequences of prison time I had coming. 

When I finally went to court to be sentenced, there was a different judge on the bench, and he shared a letter that was written on my behalf by an anonymous member of AA telling him I was changing and asking him to give me a chance at a rehab program instead of prison. 

The judge stopped the sentencing and asked me if I would like to spend 6 months at the Salvation Army Adult Rehabilitation Center in Sacramento. 

I knew that God had heard my cry for help and that I needed to keep following Him! 

I willingly went to the Salvation Army. They loved me until I could learn to love myself. I threw myself into learning about God and became active in AA and in serving the homeless and addicted which has become my life mission. I entered their Adjutant Program and earned my Pastoral certificate. 

I was awarded a scholarship to go back to college and got my Human Services as well as my CADC counseling certificates for drugs and alcohol. I began running the Phase 1 recovery programs for Salvation Army ARC and helped to manage the homeless shelter. 

Through my quest for lasting sobriety in AA, I met my beautiful angel Tami, who allowed this strange man with a ponytail who worked at the homeless shelter and rode a bicycle to fall in love with her and eventually marry her. 3 Years into our marriage, God loaned us His angel Kai to raise as our daughter! 

For the past 30 years I have lived one day at a time looking to serve and help. 4 years ago I began to look at the damage that my excess weight was causing me and those who relied on me. I found help and learned I that sugar was my new addiction along with my cravings for all the bad carbs in the junk food I surrounded myself with. I met Bitten Jonnson who taught me about sugar and carb addiction. I have applied the 12 Steps from AA into my food addiction and now, 4 years later not only have I lost over 127 pounds, but also have gained my life back and am the founder of a 12 Step Sugar and Carb addiction group called Sugar and Carb Addicts Anonymous. www.SCAA.club

God saved me from alcoholism and addiction and taught me how to be free through serving others. I believe in and truly try to live what the Bible promises that it is through giving to others that we receive. 

God has given me more than I ever deserved. 

The Big Book has taught me that Faith without works is dead. 

The least I can do is to try daily to pay Him back through serving others. Because of AA, today I am a husband, a father, a son, a brother, a family member, and a friend to many. I have a home, a job, a ministry, and a founding partner of a nonprofit that helps others. 

AA taught me to be of humble service to others. From this suggestion I have become an ordained Pastor and a college graduate with and MBA in Business and Marketing. Thank you, Jesus, for saving me! Thank God for the Salvation Army, SCAA, CR, and Alcoholics Anonymous! 


Have a blessed day y’all! Join me in looking at the things we face daily with passages from both the Big Book and Bible! https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pastor+mark+farley&ref=nb_sb_noss How about a daily dose of hope and inspired thought? Free daily message in your morning inbox. I never share, sell, or publish your email. https://www.faiththroughworksfellowship.org/blog

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

#SCAA #SugarAddiction #CarbAddiction #Keto #Recovery #Sobriety #AA #12Step #DailyDevotion #BigBook #Inspiration #StepStudy #Abstinence #OA #Alanon #Bible #NA #Serenity #Faith #Workbook #SugarAddict #Addicted #FoodAddict #FoodAddiciton #Jesus #Alcoholic #12StepWorksheet #AlcoholicsAnonymous #RecoveryBooks #SoberBooks

No comments:

Post a Comment