Daily Hope and Inspiration from Pastor Mark

Sunday, December 5, 2010

WE SERVE GOD BY SERVING OTHERS

Many people have the misconception that being “called” by God is something only missionaries, pastors, and other church leaders experience. The truth is that the Bible says everyone is called to serve God by serving others.

 We are not saved by serving, but we are saved for serving.

“You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love.” Galatians 5:13
“Our real purpose is to fit ourselves to be of maximum service to God and the people about us. AA Big Book pg 77

 The Apostle Paul gives three thoughts related to this:
 First, the basis for serving others is salvation. Paul says in the verse above, “You were called to be free.” We cannot serve God until we have been set free by Jesus. It’s the prerequisite for serving. Until we experience the transforming power of God’s grace in our life, we are too enslaved by our own hurts, habits, and hang-ups to think much about helping others. Without the freedom of forgiveness, we will end up serving for the wrong motives: trying to earn the approval of others, trying to run away from our pain, trying to remedy our guilt, trying to impress God. Service motivated by these false reasons is bound to leave us burned out and bitter in the end.

Second, the barrier to serving others is selfishness. Paul warns, “Do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature.” The main reason we don’t have the time or energy to serve others is that we’re preoccupied with our own agendas, dreams, and pleasures. Not many of us truly use our lives to serve others, but Jesus said, “If you insist on saving your life, you will lose it. Only those who throw away their lives for my sake and for the sake of the Good News will ever know what it means to really live.” Mark 8:35

This is a tough one to swallow whole. I try to serve daily, one day at a time. I now know why I have my special license plate on my car. My wife and daughter got it for me several years ago. Being a long term 12 Stepper, they got me the plate to celebrate my walk one day at a time. My special plate reads DAY B DAY, not only does it show my 12 step walk, but also my service to God and others!

Third, the motive for serving is love. Paul says, “Serve one another in love.” This is an important key to building relations both personal and in community: 1 Corinthians 13:3 “No matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I’m bankrupt without love.” 

God is far more interested in why we serve others than in how well we serve them! He’s always looking at our hearts, hoping to see us serving willingly and eagerly out of love for Jesus and gratitude for all he’s done for us.

We are most like Jesus when we are serving others. After washing His disciples’ feet, Jesus said, “I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you.” John 13:14–15

What now?

Its Christmas time and there is need all around us. Please look in your hearts and ask God to show you how you can serve this week and bring hope to someone not as fortunate as we are right now

- How can you help? — Consider your response to this Scripture verse: “Each one of us needs to look after the good of the people around us, asking ourselves, ‘How can I help?’” Romans 15:2

- Who will you serve this week? Ask God to place someone on your heart that you should serve this week, and ask Him what you should do for that person. Then do it!


-Who will you serve this week? 

No comments:

Post a Comment