Daily Hope and Inspiration from Pastor Mark

Friday, December 31, 2010

The difference between Resolutions and Decisions

It’s a New Year and many of us make New Year’s Resolutions. I have made many in the past and so few have ever come to fruition.  I finally learned what was missing from my resolutions…ACTION! My best Resolutions that I have seen come true are from my daily actions surrounding my chosen goal.

 I learned in 12 Step that actions must follow DECISIONS not RESOLUTIONS!  Step 3 states that “We made a DECISION to turn our will and our lives over the care of God as we understand Him.”  It doesn’t say we made a resolution, it states that we made a decision.

Stop the Insanity!
“and we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God.” Colossians 1:10

In the movie Groundhog Day, Bill Murray plays a character living the same day over and over again.  At first he thinks he's going crazy, but in time he decides to identify his shortcomings, address his faults, and make better choices.
The movie's moral is basically this: Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, all-the-while expecting different results.  And if you'll accept that working definition of insanity, then you'd probably admit that, from time to time, we're all a bit off kilter.  I know I am!

Everyone has areas of their life in need of change.  When you recognize a problem and sincerely desire better for your life, that's a good start. However, genuine change requires more, and that can be intimidating.

You can stop the insanity of your own Groundhog Day, and live differently and better. Ask God to help you stop the insanity, then take the first step to do so.

I decided to change my life and be free of alcohol and drugs.  I decided to be the best husband and father that I can be. I decided to get my weight under control and change my eating and sedentary habits. All of these require DAILY DECISIONS and ACTIONS!


 “A New year: 12 months, 52 weeks, 365 days, 8,760 hours, 525,600 minutes–a time to consider directions, goals, and actions. I must make some plans to live a normal life, but also I must live emotionally within a twenty-four hour frame, for if I do, I don’t have to make New Year’s resolutions! I can make every day a New Year’s day! I can decide, “Today I will do this . . . Today I will do that.” Each day I can measure my life by trying to a little better, by deciding to follow God’s will and making an effort to put the principles of our A.A. program into action.

The idea of “twenty-four-hour” living applies primarily to the emotional life of the individual. Emotionally speaking, we must not live in yesterday, nor in tomorrow.” As Bill Sees It, p. 284

“Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each New Year find you a better man.” Benjamin Franklin

Have a blessed and prosperous New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment