Daily Hope and Inspiration from Pastor Mark

Saturday, December 15, 2012


Our season of HOPE, joy, and giving was hit hard yesterday by the senseless tragedy in Connecticut.  These folks have suffered one of the worst things that I can imagine. We may never know the how or why behind this massacre, but even if we learn this, the pain, loss, and suffering will still remain.  My social media feeds were full of comments and prayer requests yesterday. Even today, I can see this is still in our heavy hearts and troubled minds.  All I could do yesterday was hug Kai harder and hold her longer than normal and hug Tami more and remind her even more than I normally do of how much I love her.

Obviously we all are praying for the affected families, loved ones, and others in Connecticut. We even held a moment of silence and had prayer before we started our small group Christmas get together last night. 
Being the eternal optimist and self appointed  seeker of finding the good in all things despite the obvious hurt, anger, rage, and senseless loss of life from this heartbreaking tragedy yesterday, I have been quietly asking God to show me how He would have me respond. All I know to do is look to God and see what I can learn from the massacre in Newtown yesterday.

This is what God has laid on my heart. Perhaps it will help.  The word He gave me is relationships. “God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble.” Psalm 46:1   “I will sustain you and I will rescue you.” Isaiah 46:4

I vow to add this tragedy to the lesson I learned 4 years ago with the suicide of a coworker named Victor. I will continue to build, develop, and have familiar relationships with those who touch the lives of myself, my family, and those I serve spiritually.

I take from this tragedy a renewed willingness and effort to KNOW the environments and people that are around my loved ones daily. I need to take the responsibility to continue with a renewed spirit to instill values in my own home of respect, honor, and love. I will continue to keep open communications with my family, friends, and those I serve. I know that I cannot know every detail of everyone’s life around me, but I CAN take it upon myself to make sure I am aware of the presence and spirit of those I come in contact with there are no quiet ones isolating in the crowd and no strangers having easy access to those I love and serve. 

I know I cannot change the world, and I know I cannot take away the pain and suffering that Newtown Connecticut folks are enduring, but I can take this and turn it into a lesson to learn from and keep my heart humbly focused on God’s promises of grace and love.

God bless us and keep us all.



No comments:

Post a Comment